Monday, August 15, 2005

Live Ate

7/8/05 Update: Pink Floyd sales go up 1300% on the strength of their performance, give all the profits to charity and urge others to do the same... which Elton and others have done.
---------------------------------------------------
Thank God they let Putin into the G7... it would have been tough getting the seven around the guitar and making it look like a $. As I'm sure my readers have discerned, I can be rather cynical and even have a button with "Hardened Cynical Bastard" encircling an Anarchy A. But, I am a fucking puddle when it comes to these charitable megaconcerts. During the post 9-11 concert at the Garden, I went through half a box of tissues.

I even enjoyed watching Madonna. Come to think of it, I always enjoy watching Madonna, and all the other big artists and when they all accumulate in one big show... I like it even better. Sure, watching these huge artists, especially Madonna, hype themselves as humanitarians is a bit much. But, it's the job of artists to raise awareness and that's basically what they're trying to do.

Of course I cried during Pink Floyd. I mean when Roger and Dave started smiling at each other, after all their bad blood and talkin bout Sid... after all these years... not to mention listening to them play these incredible songs together again after so long. Amazing!! I'm so glad they got Dave's hands as he finessed the notes out of Money, he's underrated as a guitarist, but, it takes a lot to sustain the notes. I gotta tell ya, I'm glued to the fuckin TV, even with the tape rolling. One terrific performance after the next. What's not to love?

I like the fact that they gave free concerts to raise awareness rather than doing outright fundraisers, as they did last time. The fundraising board I serve on took this approach to the big Palo Alto May Fete Parade, which traditionally ended with a fundraiser. We decided to use the after-event as PR , a free community day, and made just as much money... or at least a lot of money. You never know if you could have made more, but I love the gesture of giving freely. It means a lot.

Then again, you shouldn't complain if people want to make a buck in the open market, as Geldorf did after some of the lucky winners of tickets to the British show offered them up for sale on E-bay. Geldorf grumbled till the site took them down... as they always do anytime anybody big grumbles.

Goodbye Luther and Obie (Benson, one of the Four Tops).... you made great contributions to music... these guys were some awesome vocalists! So, both a happy and sad day for music. Maybe more sad than happy when you realize that the twenty years since Live Aid have not done more to eradicate poverty.

As far as I'm concerned, no one in the developed world should spend their time with unhappiness. We have so much. Wake up every day in squalor and wonder if you can get through the day, who of your family or friends will die today. That's a problem, one that most humans who've lived on earth have had. What we have here are not problems, they're fake problems, created by a system that thrives on greed. Buy into that and you've wasted an incredible gift. Count your blessings and love your life, cause, you lucked out.

I talk to so many people who seem to live in these little boxes of fear, so afraid of what they might lose. They never bother to think that they are already such a huge winner, all they really need to do is just enjoy their winnings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.