Monday, August 15, 2005

Eagles

Ok, ok... I give. I'm ten minutes into this Eagles concert and, even though I'm still plenty mad at Don Henley for being so close minded about P2P and continue to stand by my comment that he took us from music with a message to music that mesmerizes, jeez, their music just sounds so good. What a body of work. You really have to give it to these guys, they've created an incredible sound and their Greatest Hits album, in many ways, deserves to be the best selling album of all time... innocuous yet not totally vapid.

No, their music doesn't bring me to higher levels of consciousness like the Dead, or get me moving like good old fashioned rock and roll, it mostly just makes me want to have sex, but hey, nothing wrong with that. I mean, we just had Norah Jones do well with this mellow yet textured jelly. It's kind of relationshippy-college stuff. It doesn't have the soul of even blue eyed blues, or even Joss Stone, for that matter.

It's not the sound of a real man longing for a woman, no Percy Sledge here. It's the sensitive college boy; Jackson Browne, Dan Fogelberg longing for his girl. Guitarists around the campfire/dormroom fodder. Today we've got guys like John Mayer, Howie Day & Gavin McGraw in this role, and groups like Keane and Los Lonely Boys have their imprimatur.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.